Hi Again Kids!!
It’s hot out there so I thought what better way to cool off then with a tasty low-carb treat – ICE CREAM! You’re probably thinking what the hell?! But seriously did you know you can literally put your favorite protein with milk in an ice cream maker and presto! ICE CREAM! Not lying, and if youre smart and carb conscious about the ingredients you use you get a frosty treat that’s not only deliciously good but ALSO good for you!
I know I know I know, who even has an Ice Cream maker, especially in this cramped city of New York but this recipe is perfect for anyone, ice cream maker owners or not. I learned a great way to make ice cream in camp when I was younger that involves kosher salt, ice, ziploc bags and lot of shaking!
And speaking of Camp and shaking, who better to help shake up these low-carb frosty treats other than Go-Go God and professional booty shaker himself, Matt Camp!
Matt stopped by and told me that he’s lactose intolerant, WHO KNEW?! Not to worry all you “lactarded” boys and girls out there, this recipe uses almond milk so it’s perfect for all of you who are lactose and soy free! Watch this lactarded boy shake it up right, all in the name of low-carb creamy goodness!
If you want to make this at home, it’s super easy. Basically take your favorite milk based protein shake and throw it in your fancy ice cream maker, or use the two Ziploc bag method! Never fails!! For instructions on what I did read on below. Please note that this recipe is for 2 people so half it if you’re just making for yourself.
Glenn’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Ice Cream:
You will need:
2 scoops of your favorite protein powder (I used Isopure cookies and cream)
2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
2 tbsps of unsweetened baking cocoa
2 tbps of Stevia sweetener
2 tbsps sugar-free or very low-sugar peanut butter softened to room temp or in microwave (I used low-sugar creamy peanut butter from Trader Joe’s which actually has 1g of sugar per 2T so technically this recipe has .5g of sugar. MY BAD!! The label said NO-SUGAR! Shoulda read the fine print)
Ice Cream Maker OR
1 small ziploc bag
1 gallon ziploc bag
2-4 cups of ice
3/4 cup kosher salt
To make ice cream
1. Combine almond milk, protein powder, cocoa, stevia, and peanut butter in blender bottle
2. Shake until nicely combined
3. Pour half into ice cream maker and turn on. Depending on how good your maker is, the ice cream may require additional freezing for that great ice cream texture and consistency
4. Pour other half of protein mixture into small ziploc bag
5. Fill gallon ziploc bag with ice and kosher salt
6. Place smaller bag of protein mix into gallon bag with ice and salt and seal tightly
7. Shake bag vigorously for 5-10 minutes until you get the desired ice cream texture you like. Longer will be thicker.
8. Scoop out and enjoy!
Try this at home and tell me what you think kids!!